Monday 19 February 2007

Putting a video in the sidebar

Ok, so how do you put a video in the sidebar, such as the one under my profile on the right?

I'll do my best to take you through the steps... hopefully I haven't missed out anything. I've included everything I can think of (including some things that might seem obvious)

*Let me know if there's something you get stuck on, and I'll see if I can find out why...




(1) Go to the page where the video is, and highlight the 'embed code' (highlighting is automatic in YouTube when you simply click on it).


(2) Then Copy the code. The easiest methods to copy the codes are:
  1. Hold down control key (that says 'Ctrl' bottom left of keyboard) and then press 'C' or
  2. Right-click on highlighted embed code, and scroll down to where it says 'Copy' and left-click




(3) Go to the blog 'Template' page:



I've played with this page quite a bit, so I'm quite familiar with it now, but I remember it as being quite daunting when I first started. Don't worry about it... it gets easier the more you play :-D



(4)
Scroll down the Template box until you reach the bit for the sidebar. On my blogs it has usually been about 3/4 way down the template page (if you're looking at the scroll-button on the right of the box...) above the 'profile' bit.

This has usually been helpfully 'titled' by the person who designed the template. Here I've underlined it in red for you:





(5)
Scroll down just a little bit further, to immediately after the profile container shown here:




(6)
Click in the space below the profile container and Paste the embed code into the template (it's ok to make a line space or two before and after the video code, as the spaces don't show up... This helps to identify it later, if you want to do more to it)

Two easy ways to paste are:

  1. Right click on the page, and scroll down the pop-up until 'paste' and left-click.
  2. Hold down the control key, and press 'V'.
[When the video code is pasted in, the cursor pops up at the end of the line, and it seems to suddenly 'change' the page. Don't worry - it's a long line of code, and has just gone a long way to the right! First time I did this, I thought I'd erased all the rest of the template, which seemed to have disappeared!! :-) ] :






(7)
If you were to take a look (clicking on the 'preview' button at the bottom of the box) the video would be huge - as big as it is on the YouTube page, so next you will want to make it smaller.

Twice within the code, you've just pasted in, are instructions on how big it should be. This can be adapted to however big you want. For the sidebar, you'll obviously want it a lot smaller, or it will make the sidebar pop down to the bottom of the page after all the posts!!!

Within the line of code you've just put in (go back to the beginning of the line using the left cursor key) look for the bit that says object width="425" Height="350"






(8)
I've found that changing the Width to 200 and the height to 180 seems to fit pretty well:






(9) Repeat for the second place in the code it mentions width and height
:






(By the way - at the end of the line of code is that little tag I mentioned in my previous post that can cause trouble when putting it into the main post):




Adding a Title



(10)
In my sidebar, you'll see I haven't simply put the video in. If you don't want a title, skip ahead to step (12)

I put in the title just above the video code just put in.

Using the same 'link tags' (which I can't put in here as blogger will then link whatever's in the post here) I talked about in the previous post I linked Mother of Invention's name as part of the title.



(11)
Then added the words

song "From the Soul Within" (with my video)

You can write anything, and it will appear on the sidebar:


(You can also place your writing just as easily after the video code, so it appears underneath)



Center the Video



(12) If you want to center the video (or anything else you put in the sidebar, for that matter) it is a simple matter of using the center tag we saw in the previous post. Place an [open center] tag before the code (and any other writing you've added):




(13)
...and, of course, close the tag after the code, or everything else on the sidebar will be centered, whether you want it to be or not!






Want the Video to come on automatically when someone arrives at your page?

If you don't want it to play automatically, then go on to step (16)


(14)
In the same way there were the width and height instructions twice in the video code, so there are two places you will need to add code to make the video play when someone arrives at your page. Both times, it looks like a web-page url:




At the end of this bit, still within the quotation marks "" add this:

&autoplay=1





(15)
(Don't forget to add this same code again, towards the end of the video code):





*** Vital ***



(16) SAVE!!!
Click on 'Save the Template Changes' button.






So, this is what it looks like when you go to the blog:

Labels: , , , , ,

17 Comments:

At 20 February 2007 at 03:43 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Annelisa!
Thank you very much!!! Your instruction is perfect. I'll do it tomorrow. Today is too late. I understand everything.
Great!
Good night!
God bless you!

 
At 20 February 2007 at 12:08 , Blogger Annelisa said...

Excellent krystyna - hope you manage it (if you hit any problems, you know where I am! :-) )

 
At 20 February 2007 at 19:48 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Annelisa!
I'm very grateful for you for this very accurate informs. Now I tried it on my grandson little-photo blog.

http://kevinek.blogspot.com/

I put flower for you on my
"amazingabilities" blog.
Thank you very much again.

 
At 21 February 2007 at 16:21 , Blogger Ashish Agarwal said...

This is very useful information and very illustrative. Thanks.

 
At 22 February 2007 at 15:15 , Blogger Annelisa said...

Glad it worked, Krystyna!

Love your grandson's photo-blog... what a great idea! Maybe I should do that for my children, for the future...
Liked your choice of video too :-)

Thanks for the flowers - they look nice in the sidebar, don't they?! :-)

 
At 22 February 2007 at 15:17 , Blogger Annelisa said...

Hello, Ashish...and you're welcome!

Funny, this blog was just supposed to be to show someone how to do something, because I couldn't tell her in the comments or post... but seems like there's others that like to have a step-by-step too... guess it makes it easier to check if you're doing the right thing, huh?

 
At 26 February 2007 at 01:23 , Blogger Yazi said...

Thanks for the visit,

I think one of these days I will try to put some sort of video on the sidebar, and follow these (:

I am very impressed by the # of blogs you run. keep up!

thanks/

 
At 26 February 2007 at 19:51 , Blogger Annelisa said...

Hello, Yazi - the running of these blogs is a slow-motion thing... apart from Words that Flow, I don't really do the others on a regular basis - just 'if-and-when' kind of thing! Simply need different blogs for different purposes... :-)

 
At 1 March 2007 at 10:58 , Blogger krystyna said...

Hi Annelisa!
Only if you'll find a liittle bit time!
I want to put video on my blog in legal form. What is for must?
Good luck to you!!!

 
At 4 March 2007 at 08:57 , Blogger Annelisa said...

Sorry, Krystyna, I didn't quite understand what you meant by 'legal' form. Do you mean it is your own video, or one from somewhere like YouTube?

If it's your own video, I found the easiest way was to upload it to YouTube (which means joining), but if it is already on YouTube, you simply copy the 'embed' code to the top right of the video, and put it in your 'edit post' window (that's where you get the problems with closing the 'embed' tag if you edit the post...

Let me know a bit more what you mean, and I'll see if I know what to do...

 
At 4 March 2007 at 18:12 , Blogger Mother of Invention said...

This is so amazing! Thanks for doing this for other people. I KNOW I'd get snagged in something so when it comes time to do another song, I'm hiring you again!
I'll wait till your novel is done and you've had a chance to do catch-up stuff on your own blog plus visiting before I send it!

 
At 6 March 2007 at 14:58 , Blogger krystyna said...

Thanks Annelisa!
Your explain is good. I meant - copy the "embed" is enough or I should ask for permission?
Thanks!!!!
Take good care!

 
At 7 March 2007 at 07:55 , Blogger Annelisa said...

Hiya MOI! I don't know... I think you already do a whole lot more than you did before (I'm just waiting til the day you put a picture up next to your comments! :-) )

Love to do your next vid - Just got to work out how... We'll find something :-)

Hiya Krystyna - It depends on the sort of video it is. By making it public, a person is kind of giving permission, but some are a bit funny about it. I guess, if its a private video, it couldn't do harm to ask, eh?

I knew the moment I put my video for public viewing that people could, if they so choose, copy the code and embed... it's a risk you take, and a choice you make. But, I must admit, it would be nice if someone asked me if they could use my video... :-)

If it's popular music, though, I don't think anyone bothers...

 
At 20 March 2007 at 18:02 , Blogger Kalinka said...

Hello

Today is my blog's party celebrating 2 years writing all my friends, by kalinka.

I'm inviting you to a special party, in a lovely place, near the ocean; the weather is great, sunny day, Spring is coming.

A party is a social gathering for celebration and recreation.

Cocktails are served and women may choose to wear a cocktail dress. Social gatherings within a fairly formal, or at least stylized, atmosphere.

I'm waiting for you, please.
I'm so happy.

 
At 24 March 2007 at 09:29 , Blogger Annelisa said...

Oh, Kalinka - I'm so sorry I missed your 2nd Blogging Anniversary! I hope it was a good one!

Congratulations!

 
At 1 April 2007 at 15:45 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Annelisa!
I ask you again about video. My video play once. What to do if I want to play all the time. As similar as yours.
Have a wonderful Sunday!

 
At 1 April 2007 at 16:06 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, Annelisa! I noticed that your video play once now. But it is possible to play all the time?
Thank you for your helpful work!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home